Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Into the pool...

I am not blogging just to complain, but rather to record the path to my ultimate goal.  As they say it is not about the destination, it is about the journey.  So this blog is track my journey, success, failures and road blocks.

So, all that being said, I went to the pool today and the journey will be long.  I took the girls over to the rec center for a little swim training.  I did lap swimming while the girls just played.  Mikayla is going to start doing a little lap swimming in the future, we are really trying to encourage swimming for her as it is something she enjoys.

I would have never guessed six months ago that running would be my strong leg of the triathlon, but that is how it looks right now, assuming I can make it to the run.  In reflection, my running didn't start strong, but rather a walk to a jog to a steady jog/run.  It will be the same with the swim (and I am sure the bike), it will take time.  The most amazing thing was my lack of endurance, I could go 25 meters and have to stop and catch my breath, while the guy in the lane with me had the smoothest stroke and went 500 meters non-stop.  Watching his technique and then visualizing my technique I can only image the difference.  So here I sit with my Triathlete's Training Bible about to learn how to swim.  I can totally see the value of a triathlon coach, but for now I self-coach and train.

I look forward to the next couple months as I continue to prepare, I can think of no better overall fitness path than a triathlon.  It is total body training, I am so excited to see were I end up at the end, I just need to remind myself to enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment