Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Am A Triathlete!

I know I have been taking my sweet time in updating everyone with my experience at my first triathlon.  For the last three weeks since the Spring Sprint, I have been focusing on the next chapter in my professional career.  I will explain that later, this entry is about my first triathlon.

So as would be expected I had a considerable amount of anxiety as the day approached.  I mentioned in my last entry that I was focusing on my nutrition and just trying to stay positive, and to understand that I was prepared as I was ever going to be.  I really just wanted to enjoy the experience, while at the same time wanting time to pass more quickly so I could put it behind me.  

On Friday I went down to PowerTri for packet pickup and body marking (which I had forgot they were going to do.)  I took Brooklyn with me and it was a neat experience to stand in line as an athlete.  I at no time in my life have every been able to consider myself an "athlete".  Once I got home Friday afternoon, I turned my attention to packing my bag.  I knew I had everything I was going to need, but I was very deliberate to ensure that I didn't forget something.  I remember Stacy's first triathlon and her experience with preparing her transition bag (or lack of preparation).  So I mentally ran the race to determine what I was going to need and in what order.

Once I had the bag pack, I continued my prep work, checked the tire pressure on the bike and loaded it in the truck, and laid out my morning food.  By 8:00pm I was ready, so I tried to distract myself for the rest of the evening talking with my parents who had come in for the weekend.  Finally, about 9ish it was time for bed, or at least some quite time.  I intended on getting to the race site by 6:30, so that I wouldn't be rushed and so I would have the best choice of the bike rack for transition.

I slept sound and was up early.  I got to the venue about 6:30 and found a perfect spot at the end of a bike rack right in the middle.  I had 2 hours till race time, which I spent meditating, listening to music and trying to visualize the race.  I tried to not think too much about the swim, it was more just focusing on the part where I get out of the water.  As the minutes ticked by, I just wandered for the first hour, around 7:30 I went into the Olympic Oval and spent 20 minutes on a spin bike, trying to warm-up.  Around 8:00, I found Stacy and Mikayla waiting poolside, it was good to see them there, after the pre-race meeting, Brooklyn and my parents arrived and I had my cheering section ready to go.

So, it was time to start.  We self-ranked ourselves based our swimming level, from 1-5 (1 expert - 5 novice).  I considered myself a 4 (beginner) and was towards the back of the pack.  Our time didn't start till we entered the water.  It was a little nerve racking just waiting in line to start, and those of us in line just made nervous conversation.  Most of the racers I had talked to hadn't even driven the bike route, so I answered a lot of questions about both the bike and run courses.  As I approached the line I just told myself to go easy and that it would be over soon enough.

For the first lap and a half, I was going OK, that was 75 meters, and at meter 76 I knew I was in trouble.  Stacy and the girls were poolside trying to give me encouragement, which I appreciated, but didn't do much for me.  I settled into a mix of freestyle and floating on my back with a strong leg kick.  At the end of each 50 meters I would rest for a moment and get back at it.  I really wasn't trying to count the laps, as I felt it may discourage me with how much I had left to go.  I found out after that my sweet Mikayla got very emotional because of how much I was struggling and had to go sit with my parents.  When I hit the last 50 meters she walked the side of the pool the whole length trying to help me, and it did.  I did the last 50 meters mostly freestyle.  And then it was over.  Total swim time, 17:26, which is only slightly longer than I had expected.

After getting out of the water, it was about a 200 meter run to T1, I tried to run and finally it turned into a strong shuffle.  All I could think of was to get onto the bike.  Now, they say you should practice your transitions, I didn’t, and I think if I had I still would have not experienced what it was truly like.  My biggest challenge was my socks, my feet were wet, which made it challenging.  I remember thinking this is why most triathletes don't wear socks; I need to work on that.  Total T1 time was 2:25, not bad for a first time.

Onto the bike, this was my strongest of the three disciplines.  I had ridden the course a couple times and I knew what to expect.  The first 1/4 was a steady uphill, nothing super hard.  I was able to pass a number of racers, and was only passed my 1 person.  The 2nd 1/4 was downhill, and I mean downhill.  I barely even peddled, at one point I was going 38 mph, which is a better good clip.  It gave me a chance to rest up for what was about to happen.  The next 1/4 was pretty much flat; I took the Hammer Gel at the beginning of this leg, so that it would kick in for the last leg.  Again, I passed a number of riders and wasn't passed by anyone else.  Final the last 1/4, uphill for 13 straight blocks.  It was hard, and everyone was struggling, especially those riders on mountain bikes.  A couple riders passed me, but I didn't care, I just didn't want to stop.  Thankfully there was no wind, as I passed riders I tried to give them encouragement.  After those thirteen blocks, it was a quick downhill to T2.  Total bike time, 52:12, longer than I had expected, but I am satisfied. 

Into T2, I had a chance to get some encouragement from Leslie Howlett, who was working the transition area.  She wanted to know how the swim was and it was a nice distraction as I was preparing for the 5k run.  Coming out of transition I saw my mom, Stacy, the girls, Carrie and Mackenzie, my cheering section was growing.  Total T2, 1:37, I am very pleased with my transition times.

Finally the run, I came out of T2 with Leslie's last words of advice in my ears, just small strides.  It was about just putting one foot in front of the other, trying to get me running legs under me.  The first part of the run was out of the Oval complex, up a walking path then about 400 meters on grass up to the neighborhood.  I tried to keep running, but it turned into a walk/jog 5k.  I was passed by only a couple of people and pretty much kept the same people around me for the entire run.  I live in the neighborhood, so I knew what to expect.  There were only four uphill sections and the last 1/3 of the course was going to be all downhill running.  As we rounded onto road with the last hill, I knew I was going to make it.  I ran past a friend’s house (Kim) and I appreciated her encouragement.  As I turned on to my houses street I passed my newest neighbor and I am pretty sure he didn't know I was in a race and wanted to chat.  As I rounded the corner there was a course direction sign, and Mikayla had taped on congratulation sign for me, I was the only race to understand what she wrote and it was very special to me.  Coming down the last stretched I walked a little, because I wanted to make sure I had something left in the tank for the final sprint.  As I came into the Oval I saw Jeff and Kristin waiting for me and cheering me on.  I figured out pretty quick why they were there, Jeff was the lookout and whistled as I entered the building.  If you haven't heard his whistle let me just say, EVERYONE heard him.  I gave it a strong push and came across the finish line feeling great.  Total run time 30:06, just six seconds over my 30 minute goal, but I wasn't complaining, because I was a TRIATHLETE!  Total time 1:43:44 205/276th overall, 15/19th in my class.

Coming across the line it just felt great.  I wasn't overcome with emotion or anything like that, I think that was because I of my preparation.  I had raced the race so many times in my head, that it was surreal; don't get me wrong I was loving every second.  It was so great to have so much support and to have my girls be the first ones to hug me as I finished.  By the finish my cheering section had added NeeNee and the Little Lady.  We did the pictures and chatted for a bit and it was over.  A small gathering at the house, a little nap, and it was over.

So it has been three weeks since the race, and just two weeks till my next race, Daybreak.  I took a rest day the day after, and was back at the gym running.  Now I haven't had the swim training that I would like, for a couple reasons, the weather, I prefer the outdoor pool, and I have been focused on my professional career.  The week after the race, I started the interview process with a company that had an open Controller position available.  That process had been my focus for two straight weeks, and this past Monday I was offered the position.  It is with a dental company downtown that has tremendous growth potential, and I feel I can be an asset and we will be able to accomplish some great things professionally.

I have been working out steadily, and again, outside of the swim, I feel I will do OK in this upcoming race.  The swim will be another new experience, as I will need to wear a wetsuit.  I am probably relying too much on the buoyancy it will offer, but I may spend some more time kicking on my back, but I won't have any lane lines or poolside to hold onto for rest.  The next couple weeks, I will again try and hit the pool after work, but I will be as ready as I will be, come race day.

One final note, I want to congratulated Leslie Howlett and Burke Priest for their success at the St. George Ironman on May 1st.  I can only stand in awe at that accomplishment.  I spent that entire day tracking their progress online.  They have said that this was probably the hardest Ironman bike and run course ever, and to complete it is a special things.  Leslie's time 12:09, and Burke's was  14:51:19.  I have so much respect for these athletes, I want to wish them both continued success.

No comments:

Post a Comment