Sunday, May 30, 2010

Daybreak Race Recap

It was a great weekend for a race, well maybe a little cold, but it was a great event.  This was my second of four planned triathlons this year.  Now considering that I have not been in the water except for two times since my last triathlon a month ago, I was less than prepared for this one.  As I mentioned in my last post, immediately after the last triathlon I was offered a position as a Controller for a dental company.  Adjusting to a full-time schedule and the stress of a new job had severely affect my ability train properly and to eat properly.  I was going to the gym every morning and I was riding my bike when I could, but I wasn't training with a purpose.

Primarily I was concerned, as usual, about the swim.  This was going to be my first open water swim in a wetsuit.  Last Wednesday I did attend an open-water swim clinic at the Black Ridge Reservoir in Herriman.  I wasn't sure about the wetsuit at first, it was constricting and the water was ice cold, but I adjusted quickly and actually enjoyed the wetsuit.  As for the actual swimming, I still don't have the endurance, which probably goes with the lack of training time in the water.  After I left the clinic I had mixed emotions, but I was glad I went, it gave me an idea of what to expect on Saturday.

Now, my first triathlon, I was 100% focused on preparation, diet, exercise, everything. This one, not so much, I did try and maintain a good race week diet, along with hydration, but I know I came up lacking.  Race morning, I wanted to be at the venue early so that I could have my pick of spots in transition, plus Stacy was a volunteer for the event.  We got to the race at about 6 am, and I got what I feel was the PERFECT transition spot, near the bike in/out, at the end of a rack so that I could use the end as my staging area.  I was amazed at how many people showed up so late, some were still trying to get a spot in transition after the Olympic waves had started.  I can't even image adding self-inflicted stress on to the already existent stress of participating in a triathlon.

Pre-race meeting was at 7:30, which meant at water's edge in my wetsuit, the problem was my wave didn't start till 8:30, so it meant an hour in my wetsuit, barefoot waiting.  Fortunately, Stacy found me at the pre-race meeting and we walked around till it was my time.  We went back to transition and got my shoes and a jacket, which Stacy took back to transition for me.

The tempature for the day wasn't supposed to get over 60°, it was overcast, with a water tempature of around 52°, so it was cold, but I had an idea what it was going to be like considering I had just been the open-water clinic a couple days before.  My wave was the last men's wave, I got in and yes it was cold, but not really that bad to me.  Maybe I was just more concerned about the swim, than I was about the actual water.  I started in the back and when the gun went off, I swam, I tried a freestyle and did the best I could.  My challenge was the sighting combined with the lack of endurance.  I just took my time, did a combination of freestyle, breast, side and back stroke, I didn't tread water much, because I didn't want to waste my energy standing still.  It was rough, I won't lie, I am quite confident I was the last man out of the water, and I was passed by a LOT of women from the wave that started after mine.  I just focused on the next buoy and did what I needed to.  I came out of the water a little wobbly, but moving.  Total swim time, 21:26, now that is just 4 minutes longer than my first triathlon's 400 meter swim time and this swim was 750 meters, so that is good.  But I have SO much room for improvement, which I am taking as a positive.

The water did take its toll on a few racers, in fact they pulled three swimmers out of the water and Stacy helped another racer who had collapsed in T1 from the cold of the swim.  Plus they had brought another in off of the bike course, the EMT's were busy, I just hope in the end everyone was OK.

Coming out of the water, I had a pretty good distance to walk/run to my bike in transition.  My total T1 was 4:06, pretty slow actually.  I need to practice my T1, as well as riding in my tri-shoes without socks, I spend to much time putting them socks on.  I was happy I (Stacy actually) bought some silicone spray from PowerTri for my wetsuit, it made taking it off a snap.  I pays to attend these clinics to learn these little tricks.

The bike was going to be my strong leg of the race, and it felt good, but in comparison to other racer's times, I have a lot of improvement to do there was well, again taking it as a positive.  I had driven the course the week before, and it is very similar to the route I ride almost every Sunday morning.  So I knew what to expect, a false flat (slight uphill) out to U-111, uphill on 111 to the turn around and then downhill fast back to T2.  I was passed more than I had expected, but I felt good.  I had a couple ladies commenting on my calves as they passed me, I told them I inherited them from my dad and they are the only thing defined on my body.  After the turn around, it was all out, I couldn't go fast enough, I never changed my gear until I was almost back to T2.  Total bike time, 41:54, 11 minutes fast than my first triathlon, and I know I can do even better, I just need to prepare better, and maybe change my gearing.

T2 was a little crazy for me, total time was ok at 1:25, but I wasn't thinking clearly.  I had to back to my bike twice, once to put back my bandanna and the second time to put back my riding gloves, I walked out of T2 trying to get my legs back under me. Plus I forgot to put on my race belt with my number.  I just need to plan better, and have a mental checklist.

The run was around the Daybreak lake on the walking/jog path.  What a beautiful area!  I really want to take Stacy and the girls back for a walk around it.  I started out at just a jog pace, primarily because I couldn't feel my feet.  I hadn't really noticed it other than I was struggling to run, until another racer asked if my feet were still numb from the swim as hers were, and they were.  I was feeling a lot of stress in my lower legs and feet.  I actually thought I was going to snap an ankle with the pain I was feeling, but I endured.  I set a goal early in the run, that it didn't matter how fast I ran, but rather that I just didn't stop running.  So I shuffled along at a 5 mph pace, but I didn't stop.  I really wish they had put out some markers along the course to let me know how much was left, I wasn't sure I was ever going to make it around that lake.  As usually, I tried to save a little for the finish, I always want to come across the finish line strong.  Now, I had been looking for Stacy the entire run, as she had said she was going to be working an aid station, well she was, at the finish.  Total run time, 38:26, LOTS of room for improvement.

After seeing my total times, I was a little depressed, I know I can do better.  I came into this season not caring about total time, just to complete, not compete.  But, I do care, and I need to improve if I hope to even come close to my ultimate goals.  So I am refocusing my efforts on training and my diet.  Stacy has been on a new plan for a month or so that she likes and I am going to give it a try.  It is called Live The Life, it is a very structured workout and diet plan.  So I am hoping to drop some lbs and gain some strength.  I am still about 260 lbs, every pound lost will mean that much less weight I am having to schlep around the course.

My next race is in 27 days, at Jordanelle Reservoir.  I am dedicating myself to improve my training and my preparation to ensure that I run the race I know I can run.  I want to push myself, and I just want to make sure my body is ready to be pushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment