Thursday, April 8, 2010

T-15 Days and counting

So I am two weeks away from my first event. Depending on the specific moment determines if I am freaked out or confident. I have been training hard and I am definitely seeing some progress, but I'm not sure two weeks is enough to truly be prepared, however the clock is moving whether I am ready or not.

I think my biggest concern right now is the anxiety that I will have the day of the race. Namely with the swim, I need to make sure I don't burnout on the first leg. Talking with a friend today, he suggested that I need to make a conscious decision to go as slow as possible to start, that way I can build a rhythm for the rest of the race.

Speaking of the swim, I am feeling a little better. I am swimming four days a week and I am starting to build some endurance. Yesterday I met a triathlete who works at the pool I go to and she is going to meet me next week to work on my technique. I am very excited to get some professional advise.

As for the bike, I am spinning 3 days a week, I have some incredible instructors that really help me get the most out of the workout (no matter how bad I swear at them during class). The weather is finally starting to improve so I am looking forward to getting out on the road. I really want to be able to ride the course a few times before race day. The 13 block climb at the end has me a little concerned.

Now I say two weeks, but it is really only one week considering I need to taper as the race approaches. I have next week to train hard, then I need to start dialing back training so that I don't over prepare and not have the energy on race day. So that considered, freaked out is the more prevalent emotion, but regardless, I will be as ready asIi can, and I will do all I can, and I will cross that finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment