Thursday, March 25, 2010

3 Straight Days in the Pool

I have forced myself, and I do mean forced myself, to go the pool the last three days. After day one I wasn't sure what the hell I was thinking.  I had no endurance with the freestyle swim and sucked down a gallon or so of water.  I was so upset, I damn threw in the towel.  After some venting on facebook and support from some friends, I decided I just needed more time.  As with my running, which was slow to come at first, I need to put in the time.

So I came home and did some research, my problem was breathing, and this problem is very common.  I found a couple websites, listened to a podcast on swimming, and I learned a couple drills to help develop the skills needed to effectively breath.  The training suggested that I do the sidekick and sharkfin drill and that I should attempt actually swimming freestyle at all.

So, I tried it, and I still suck at it, but I feel I suck less.  The problem I am experiencing is for a successful freestyle stroke your body needs to stay as level as possible to reduce drag.  Maybe it is just my oversized arse, I am struggling to keep my hips and legs up.  A friend told me that the key to level swimming is to look at the bottom of the pool, it helps.  Practice, practice, practice are what I need, so I will keep at it and we will see what happens.

I have found the ideal time to do this training is in the early afternoon.  I have had the lap lane practically to myself, which is wonderful.  True the place looks like a Turkish bath house with the all the mid-aged, overweight men.  I do have sympathy for the high school girl who is serving as the lifeguard and has to be subjected to that spectacle.

1 comment:

  1. Why was I not informed of 2 new blog entries? Wish I'd seem them sooner! Keep up the good work - I'm sooooo proud of you.

    PS - Thanks for not blogging about how you kicked my trash to and from Salt Air! Love you for that!

    ReplyDelete