Saturday, January 16, 2010

Cycling

Ok, so cycling is obviously a third of the triathlon experience, well I haven't ridden a bike for more than 4 blocks in over 20 years.  As I type this, the reality of that statement is hitting me pretty hard.  I don't necessarily consider myself new to cycling, as we bought Stacy a bike last year and I have tried to do as much research as possible.  That being said, I still don't know anything thing.

The prices of road bikes are staggering, I feel like I am buying a car.  I don't want to drop a huge amount on a new bike, but I also don't want to buy a bike I will outgrow before the year is over.  I am having to give up a trip for my 40th birthday to buy a bike, but gotta do what I gotta do.  I had found a great deal on eBay for a Cannondale, but I missed winning the auction by $30, not cool.  So I keep looking.

I did receive my cycling shoes this week.  I had to special order them from Lake as they are one of only a few company that sell a "wide" shoes, and the only company to sell a "wide Tri" shoe.  For the record, it is a 48 wide, which translates to a 13.5 wide. 

I need to start "spinning" as soon as possible so that I can start to develop the cycling muscles.  So I needed cleats for my new "silver" cycling shoes.  I have been to REI twice in this week trying to find the right peddles for the bike I don't even have yet.   At first I got SPD peddles and cleats because I knew the cleats would work on the spin bikes at the gym.  The girl at REI tried to get me to buy the 3-hole road bike peddles and cleats, but I didn't know if they would work at the gym.  I contacted a friend of mine to ask his advise and he said to go with the SPD's so I could use them at the gym, but that the others type was better for road bikes.  Well, after a trip to the spin room, they have bikes that use the 3-hole cleat, so back to REI I went, and know I have a pretty set of Shimano road peddles and cleats.  Now, I just need the bike.

I have downloaded a "spin" program from NextFit for next week.  I am going to spin by myself for a couple weeks, just to get used to it, I don't want to embarrass myself in a class quite yet.  Oh, and I get to use some of my Christmas presents from Stacy and the girls, my Pearl Izumi cycling shorts and gloves, considering I will be in a spin room, I won't need the helmet, but you never know. 

I will let everyone know how I do, after this adventure I have to work on my swimming.  I do feel I am a decent swimmer, I just need more edurance.  Can't wait till I have to grease myself up to get into a wetsuite, that is not going to be pretty (no pictures please, for your own safety and mental well being).

No comments:

Post a Comment